SlimCD is a complete operating system which will boot from CD. It features all you need to run SlimServer including some of the community's favourite plugins. Your SlimServer will be up and running within a few minutes without the need to install anything!
In its first 24 months of existence SlimCD has been downloaded more than 11'000 times... I'm pretty much impressed :-)
Download SlimCD from one of the following locations:
(md5sum: 5b950697d52a2477deb7308c6247efb1, ca. 110MB)
SlimCD is a complete Linux system based on the popular Damn Small Linux (DSL) / Knoppix live cd distributions. These are well known for their compatibility with most standard PC configurations, stability and ability to run without touching the underlaying system.
SlimCD contains the following features which will run out of the box:
- SlimServer 6.5.2 (can easily be updated to latest nightly build)
- SoftSqueeze 3.3
- Many of the community's most popular plugins like
- Advanced Alarm
- Album Review
- Shadow Play
- ...and many more
- Perl 5.8.6, Java 1.5, mplayer
- Debian Linux based operating system
- Some server software to build a nice and quiet server (please note: these have to be configured manually! Not for the fainthearted ;-))
- Samba, rsync
Though SlimCD is based on DSL it won't fit on a business card CD. Java, the complete Perl needed for SlimServer and mplayer alone would fill it...
Thomas Chronz created some cool cover art for your SlimCD for free download. Thanks a lot!
There's no installation needed... Just run SlimCD from the CD:
- Download the CD image
- Burn it to CD using your favourite software
- Boot your computer from this CD (you might need to activate boot from CD in your machine's BIOS)
- Have fun!
- The context menu contains many more features like eg. configuration of you wireless network connection.
You'll find more information in the "Getting started" guide (also available from the CD).
Any PC capable of running Windows 2000/XP should do. I've run it on a Pentium/200 with 64MB RAM. It did work - in text mode only ;-). But for a little more fun and serious usage I'd recommend a CPU with min. 1 GHz, 256MB RAM, fast CD drive.